If you’ve had the luck to be brought in a good family environment, like I was, you’ve probably heard from an early stage this washed-up (but still relevant) sentence: ‘You can be whoever you want to be when you grow up, it’s up to you!’
And don’t get me wrong. For the most part, that’s right. I feel in control of my destiny, I know success won’t fall into my lap, I gotta work hard for it. However, a lot of people don’t realize that your values, your beliefs and understandings in life are inevitably going to be influenced by the environment you are in and the people you surround yourself with. Even though we keep insisting we are adults and have figured all of this out by now, we also realize that we keep changing and learning till the very end. That’s why it’s important to have the right people along for the ride:
1. The wise guy – doesn’t care about what your opinion is on a subject, he will tell it like it is. You can try and bullshit your way into a relationship (platonic or otherwise), but he will see right through you and walk away.
Why you need them in your life: That person will bring a realistic perspective on any situation. You know you can trust them and you respect them for not pretending to be someone they are not. They will keep you grounded every time you are tempted to lie or misrepresent yourself.
2. The social butterfly – this person seems to know everybody who’s anybody. They are always at a social event or meeting new people. That’s how you probably got caught in their orbit – you were charmed after 5 minutes of talking with them and you know you’ll never get bored when they are around.
Why you need them in your life: Great way to meet new and inspiring people, great way to keep you motivated on your own goals in life. Tonight you’re going out with a bunch of hipsters, tomorrow you’re having coffee with a high-end designer or the CEO of a local company. Variety is key.
3. The ‘party hard or go home’ – you have a special relationship with this person. You might not see each other every day, but when you do it’s a night to remember. You know each other’s dirty secrets because you’ve probably shared them over a beer or five.
Why you need them in your life: Despite their ease with which they get you in trouble, they also keep your young and rebellious spirit alive. And it’s just nice to know that once in a while you can let your guard down and act like a teenager without anyone judging!
4. The comedian – it’s plain and simple, this person can lighten the mood at any time. They can actually make you laugh out loud!
Why you need them in your life: They always know what to say to make you smile and chances are, they are usually the ones you call when you are feeling down and need good old cheering up.
5. The ex – hear me out. I don’t mean the great dramatic love story went wrong. I mean that sweet individual that you used to go out with a long time ago, that somehow turned out to be a better friend than significant other. They get you on a level that other friends don’t, because of the already shared intimacy.
Why you need them in your life: Because they are genuinely great people who care about you because of you, nothing more. If you need their help they will come running and vice versa. Just because you care and wish them well.
6. The couple – they are always together and seem to have life all figured out. They go to the same social events, they’ve probably already bought an apartment and are planning a wedding in the near future.
Why you need them in your life: These people are the picture of a perfect relationship. They seem to have life all figured out and you can actually call them adults without chuckling. When you start feeling like a kid that doesn’t know anything, you take a look at them and know that yes, it is possible to be that confident in life.
7. The couch potato – because let’s face it, sometimes you just want to stop running and relax with some good company. They don’t care how you look or how presentable you are. All they care is that you can relax and have the occasional glass of wine/ beer with them at the comfort of your own homes.
Why you need them in your life: They are good at slowing you down. They are the ‘stop and smell the roses’ types. Around them, you realize beauty is in the small things and in occasionally having a break from life and recharging your batteries.
8. The sports freak – opposite to the couch potato, these are the people that will make you push your limits and get out of your comfort zone.
Why you need them in your life: They scream out discipline. Their crazy daily routines make you feel bad about sleeping in. They can motivate you to change your habits, to get out there and to try new things.
9. The entrepreneur – these people are the ‘crazy ones’. They always have great ideas or are always running to another meeting with a potential client. And even though their schedules are crazy busy, they always seem to have a smile on their face.
Why you need them in your life: You simply can’t get enough of their enthusiasm. They inspire you to want more from life and to look for true happiness. Their minds are sharp and always ready for a good debate. And that stimulates you to keep working on yourself.
10. The ‘you in 10 years’ – they are basically who you aspire to be in 10 years. They have the same way of thinking, they’ve already made the same mistakes you were thinking of making, and are happy with who they’ve become.
Why you need them in your life: They can be great mentors. You need to picture the person you aspire to become and if you actually meet them, you can learn a lot from their experience and wisdom. And it’s kinda cool to think you could be this awesome in 10 years.
And there you have it. The 10 types of people I need in my life to keep me going.
P.S. I love all my friends and wouldn’t have it any other way. I thank all of them for putting up with my crazy self and I thank them for always being there for me.